The Advanced Diploma in Music Production and Sound Engineering is an intensive one year programme that is taught across 48 weeks. The course is then divided into three terms, with each term building on the knowledge and skills you learnt in the previous term.
Using our progressive continuous learning method each module will cover historical and theoretical content alongside practical and technical skills so you develop a rounded knowledge and skill set within each area.
The breadth of the course means that alongside learning what equipment, techniques and microphones to use you also learn why you use them. This will help you develop your own expertise and understanding of how to create different sounds and effects.
Within the diploma, we cover all of the following subject areas: Acoustics, Computer, Copyright and Legal issues, Digital Audio Technology, Electronics and Analogue Equipment, General Business (Publishing & Marketing), Management Skills, Mastering, Microphones, Mixing and Critical Listening, Music Theory and Production, Production, Recording, Sound Theory, Studio Equipment and Signal Processing, Studio Etiquette and Musicianship.
Below you can browse through the three terms and see the breakdown of modules for each term.
These are the learning outcomes for this subject area.
You will be able to:
• Understand the principles of DAW controller operation
• Understand the working principles of microphones
• Understand stereo microphone recording theory
• Understand the working principles of loudspeakers
• Understand the working principles of amplifiers
• Select different efficient automation modes using DAW controllers
• Mix a multitrack project using a DAW controller
• Argue the importance of microphone directionality in music production
• Interpret microphone measurements and specification sheets
• Appraise the suitability of microphone preamplifiers
• Select microphones for specific applications based on practical criteria, e.g. sound source radiation pattern, SPL and placement
• Make informed microphone placement decisions when recording simple acoustic sources
• Select and use standard stereo microphone techniques with varying transducer types, spacing and angles
• Select stereo microphone techniques based on the principles supporting Mike Williams’ stereophonic Zoom concept
• Discuss the principles of transduction of different loudspeaker drivers
• Appraise the key features and placement of loudspeakers
• Interpret loudspeaker specifications
• Interpret amplifier operation-related measurements
• Categorise different types of audio amplifiers
• Interpret amplifier specification sheets
An inspiring and incredibly well designed course that gave me the best musical education I could have dreamt of. Life-altering.
The curriculum is fantastic, extremely comprehensive, contemporary and relevant to today’s industry.
This course has helped to develop me into a well rounded producer, engineer, and musician. It has helped open doors to career opportunities that I would otherwise not have had access to. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for the fantastic team, course, and resources available at Abbey Road Institute London!
The course taught me what it means to be a producer and engineer in the industry, I learned things I couldn’t have learned anywhere else.
Abbey Road Institute trains you to deliver high quality work that matches industry standards.
I had an incredible experience. The staff have so much to offer and cover so many different areas of music.
The Abbey Road Institute helped me to unlock my musical potential.
Applying for the diploma was the best thing I could have done for my career. I'm really amazed at how much I learnt in one year.
There is some real visionary foresight in Abbey Road Institute being established to preserve the cultural legacy of Abbey Road.
It’s a unique experience in so many ways, the location, the calibre of guest lecturers and access to Abbey Road Studios for classes is pretty amazing. There aren't many places you get to record a full orchestra!
Come with an open mind and a voracious appetite to soak up the magic! Be prepared to work hard - you’ll get out what you put in.