If you’re looking to specialise in audio post-production to enter the film and tv industries we encourage you to apply. This course does require you to have some prior experience including theoretical knowledge of audio concepts such as microphones, operating levels, digital audio theory, clocking, synchronisation, audio processing tools and mixing as well as experience using Pro Tools. If you are unsure if you meet the requirements and want to check your suitability for the course please contact us and we’ll be very happy to help you with this.
The application process is your opportunity to demonstrate that you meet the entry requirements necessary to join the course. So that we can assess your suitability and offer you an interview you will need to submit the following:
– A Portfolio – with a selection of tracks where you demonstrate your experience and understanding of recording. (e.g. audio engineer, mix engineer, pro-tools operator, etc). In the form of WAVs, mp3’s, Quicktimes or online links to a video that shows evidence of sound recording, editing and mixing skills in either music or post-production.
– Your CV and a Cover Letter where you demonstrate your background and experience and explain your motivation to study with us and on this course
– Photographic ID – this is typically a scan of your passport, driving license or identity card. For passports please provide a scan of the front cover and the photo page.
– All students are legally required to be aged 18 or above at the time of enrolling on any of our courses
– Qualifications/Experience – You will need to have some sound engineering, audio or music technology experience. This may be through already having completed an audio course or relevant knowledge and skills gained through practical/industry experience. Ideally, you will have an understanding of basic audio post-production principles and practice and be able to demonstrate evidence of sound recording, editing and mixing skills in either music or post-production. If you have any questions about your level of experience and if it’s sufficient to apply, don’t hesitate to contact us and we’ll be very happy to advise you.
– Pro Tools Experience – We require you to have experience of working with Avid’s Pro Tools. If you have a certification please submit this, but it is not essential that you have a qualification or certification to apply for the course.
– A basic understanding of film and TV sound (audio post-production). You may want to consider taking a short course in this area to help build up your basic knowledge. We will be offering an introductory short course on this subject in the future.
– Application Fee £450 (to make the payment go to Abbey Road Institute Bank Details).
European and International Students
Depending on your nationality (as shown on your passport) you may be required to apply for a Visa to study with us. This course is less than 6 months and we are an approved learning provider, which means if you are required to hold a visa it’s likely to be the Standard Visitor visa. You can check if you need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa based on your personal circumstances here on the Government website. To make an application for the Visa visit this page on the UK Government website.
If you’d like to apply but are unsure if you meet the requirements please get in touch for an initial consultation with one of our team. You may also wish to consider attending one of our forthcoming Open Days where you will be able to meet the team and find out how Abbey Road Institute can help you to build a rewarding career working with sound. Register your interest via the link below and we’ll invite you to our next event.
An inspiring and incredibly well designed course that gave me the best musical education I could have dreamt of. Life-altering.
The curriculum is fantastic, extremely comprehensive, contemporary and relevant to today’s industry.
This course has helped to develop me into a well rounded producer, engineer, and musician. It has helped open doors to career opportunities that I would otherwise not have had access to. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for the fantastic team, course, and resources available at Abbey Road Institute London!
The course taught me what it means to be a producer and engineer in the industry, I learned things I couldn’t have learned anywhere else.
Abbey Road Institute trains you to deliver high quality work that matches industry standards.
I had an incredible experience. The staff have so much to offer and cover so many different areas of music.
The Abbey Road Institute helped me to unlock my musical potential.
Applying for the diploma was the best thing I could have done for my career. I'm really amazed at how much I learnt in one year.
There is some real visionary foresight in Abbey Road Institute being established to preserve the cultural legacy of Abbey Road.
It’s a unique experience in so many ways, the location, the calibre of guest lecturers and access to Abbey Road Studios for classes is pretty amazing. There aren't many places you get to record a full orchestra!
Come with an open mind and a voracious appetite to soak up the magic! Be prepared to work hard - you’ll get out what you put in.